- Enjoy the security of a career in technology
- Be career-ready in as little as 3 months
- Train to earn an average of $47,000/yr
- All for only
Computer Technician Program FAQs
Get answers to the most common and important questions about signing up in the Computer Technician program at Career Step. Our FAQs section provides answers to help you make an informed decision about your training.
- What will I be doing as a computer technician?
Computer technicians help support the use of technology by businesses and individuals. Their specific responsibilities vary by position, however, examples of possible computer technician jobs include: working in a retail electronics store repairing and maintaining customers’ hardware and software, working as part of an internal IT team in a large or medium sized business, or providing technical support to customers via phone or email.
- What is the labour market for computer technicians?
Job opportunities for computer technicians vary across the different regions in Canada. For specific information on the labour market in your area, please visit the Working in Canada website. Career Step training helps you gain the skills needed to earn the CompTIA A+ credential, so you can prove to employers that you have the skills they’re looking for.
- How much can I earn as a computer technician?
Working in Canada reports that, on average, computer technicians earn between $13 and $40 an hour. For more information on average wages in your specific region, visit the Working in Canada website. You may also qualify for benefits as a computer technician.
- Do I need to be certified?
Though certification may not always be a requirement for employment, CompTIA A+ certification will help your resume stand out in the job market and will also give you access to more job opportunities. The Career Step Computer Technician training program is specifically designed to prepare you for this certification and also includes 2 certification exam vouchers, which you will receive upon program completion.
- What are the advantages of training with Career Step?
Career Step has been training quality professionals for over 20 years and offers a comprehensive training program that thoroughly prepares learners to work as computer technicians. With Career Step, you can train affordably without sacrificing quality, learn from comprehensive training developed by industry professionals, take advantage of live program and career support, and quickly gain the specialized skills you need to earn your CompTIA A+ certification and succeed as a computer technician. We're committed to helping you achieve your goals, and Career Step provides everything you need to succeed!
- What kind of skills or experience do I need to enter the Career Step program?
In order to be admitted, you must be at least 18 years of age and either a) have a high school diploma or a General Education Development Certificate (GED), or b) pass the Career Step Pre-Training Assessment Test. There are no specific skills or experience that are considered prerequisites for entry into the Career Step training program.
- Is Career Step accredited?
Career Step is registered under the Utah Post-Secondary Proprietary School Act but is not nationally or regionally accredited. However, our career-focused training programs are approved by a number of industry specific organizations and are designed with employer feedback to ensure learners are gaining exactly the skills needed to get a job and succeed in the workforce.
The Career Step training programs prepare learners for career fields where employers are looking for skilled applicants. Career Step works closely with employers when developing a training program to ensure learners finish with the skills employers are looking for. We've also developed close ties to industry associations, aligning our programs with their recommendations. Career Step programs boast the following recognitions:
- Career Step’s Medical Transcription Editor training is approved by the Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity (AHDI), the leading medical transcription industry association.
- The Medical Administrative Assistant with EHR program is approved by the National Healthcareer Association (NHA), a leading organization focused on increasing the quality of health career training.
Career Step programs are also designed to prepare you for certifications that greatly improve your employment opportunities. Employers are often more familiar with various credentials than with the quality of training provided by different organizations. To help your resume stand out from other applicants, various Career Step programs help prepare learners to earn the following third-party credentials:
- Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA)
- Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (CEHRS)
- CompTIA A+ Certification
- Microsoft Office Specialist – Master (MOS-Master)
This focus on helping you gain the skills needed to succeed in the workforce has made our lerners successful in the job market—over 84% of those completing their Career Step program are employed in their field of study, and 91% of our trained and employed Medical Transcription learners work from home in their first job.
- How is the Career Step Computer Technician program structured?
The Career Step Computer Technician program is offered entirely online, providing 24/7 access to all material and allowing you to progress through the training on your own schedule and at your own pace. The program is broken into modules, or course subjects, all of which focus on helping you build the essential knowledge and skills of a computer technician. The training is built on the exam objectives published by CompTIA, and the midterm and final exams are even designed as mock exams that mirror the A+ exams so you can measure your readiness for the certification exams. This format ensures that you’ll be prepared to earn your CompTIA A+ certification immediately upon completion.
- What type of program support does Career Step offer?
Career Step program support includes access to:
Program Support Advisors who have professional experience in the industry and are uniquely qualified to answer questions about both the training and the industry. They provide timely answers to questions about the program material and offer a number of personal consultations throughout the training to help learners master important concepts.
Technical Support Advisors who are knowledgeable, experienced, and available six days a week to help you work through any technical or computer issues encountered within the training program.
Career Support Advisors who help you transition to the workforce after completion. YourCareer Advisors will help prepare the best resume, develop solid interview skills, and teach you valuable job search techniques.
Though the course is entirely online, you'll never be on your own. Career Step's program support team will always be there to offer personal, ongoing support all the way through the training program.
- How long does it take to finish the course?
The Career Step Computer Technician training program is 305 completion hours. Since the program is completely self-paced and the online training format allows you the flexibility to study as much or as little as your schedule allows, the time it takes you to complete the course will vary from other learners. Some individuals are able to complete their training program in as little as one or two months and others, who are more limited in the time they can devote to the course, take longer (for example, learners who can devote about 15 hours a week may finish in about 5 months).
Every individual who signs up in the Career Step Computer Technician training program receives an initial 3-month period of access—and we currently offer an additional 3 months at no extra charge! You'll have a full 6 months to complete the program. If you need extra time to complete the course after your initial 6-months, we have 3-month extensions available for purchase.
- How do I find work after completion?
Career Step offers personalized, post-completion resources for your job search, including:
- 2 certification exam vouchers to make it easy to take your CompTIA A+ exam
- Personal consultation with a Career Advisor
- Personalized interview tutorials and training
- Individual resume and cover letter review, tips, and advice
- Access to Career Step's help hotline for six months after completion
These resources offer the personalized help you need after completion to quickly and easily transition to the workplace. With this individualized help and attention, the majority of our learners are hired within a few months of completion.
- What materials and computer specifications are required to complete the course?
Your signup includes everything you will need to train for a successful career as a computer technician. It includes:
- Access to expert-created program training
- Complete ebook library
- 2 quick-reference guides for A+ exam study
- Computer repair toolkit
- Power supply tester and USB drive
- Unlimited program and technical support
- 2 certification exam vouchers upon completion
- Valuable career resources
Since the course is completely online, your computer will play an important role in your learning experience. We recommend the following minimum computer system specifications:
- Active internet connection (High speed/Broadband connection recommended)
- 800 X 600 minimum resolution (1024 X 768 or higher recommended)
- Sound card and speakers (Earphones recommended)
- Available USB port
- Adobe Flash Player (ver. 10 or higher)
- Windows Media Player (ver. 10 or higher) or Quicktime Player (ver. 7 or higher)
- PDF reader
- Internet Explorer 7.x/8.x/9.x
- Firefox 3.x
- Safari 4.x or greater (Mac only)
- Microsoft Windows (XP®, Vista®, 7 with latest service pack)
- Mac OS X (10.4.11 or greater)
Note: Mobile browsing devices are not currently supported. However, Career Step is investigating the implementation of mobile device support, and these specifications will be updated once a decision has been reached.
- What payment options does Career Step offer?
We realize that one of the most important questions tied to additional training is how it will be paid for. Because this is such a big part of the decision of whether or not to get additional job training, Career Step has designed several financial assistance and payment options. Please visit our Financial Assistance page for more information.
- How soon will I receive my materials?
It takes 2-3 business days to process the application, depending on method of payment. Once the payment is processed you will be emailed your course login and password and can start training immediately. Additional course materials are shipped UPS Ground after the payment is processed. The average wait is about 7-10 days.