- Enjoy the security of a career in technology
- Be career-ready in as little as 3 months
- Train to earn an average of $47,000/yr
- All for only
Computer Technician Program FAQs
Get answers to the most common and important questions about signing up in the Computer Technician program at Career Step. Our FAQs section provides answers to help you make an informed decision about your training.
- What will I be doing as a computer technician?
Computer technicians help support the use of technology by businesses and individuals. Their specific responsibilities vary by position, however, examples of possible computer technician jobs include: working in a retail electronics store repairing and maintaining customers’ hardware and software, working as part of an internal IT team in a large or medium sized business, or providing technical support to customers via phone or email.
- What is the labour market for computer technicians?
Job opportunities for computer technicians vary across the different regions in Canada. For specific information on the labour market in your area, please visit the Working in Canada website. Career Step training helps you gain the skills needed to earn the CompTIA A+ credential, so you can prove to employers that you have the skills they’re looking for.
- How much can I earn as a computer technician?
Working in Canada reports that, on average, computer technicians earn between $13 and $40 an hour. For more information on average wages in your specific region, visit the Working in Canada website. You may also qualify for benefits as a computer technician.
- Do I need to be certified?
Though certification may not always be a requirement for employment, CompTIA A+ certification will help your resume stand out in the job market and will also give you access to more job opportunities. The Career Step Computer Technician training program is specifically designed to prepare you for this certification and also includes 2 certification exam vouchers, which you will receive upon program completion.
- What are the advantages of training with Career Step?
Career Step has been training quality professionals for over 25 years and offers a comprehensive training program that thoroughly prepares learners to work as computer technicians. With Career Step, you can train affordably without sacrificing quality, learn from comprehensive training developed by industry professionals, take advantage of live program and career support, and quickly gain the specialized skills you need to earn your CompTIA A+ certification and succeed as a computer technician. We're committed to helping you achieve your goals, and Career Step provides everything you need to succeed!
- What kind of skills or experience do I need to enter the Career Step program?
In order to be admitted, you must be at least 18 years of age and either a) have a high school diploma or a General Education Development Certificate (GED), or b) pass the Career Step Pre-Training Assessment Test. There are no specific skills or experience that are considered prerequisites for entry into the Career Step training program.
- How is the Career Step Computer Technician program structured?
The Career Step Computer Technician program is offered entirely online, providing 24/7 access to all material and allowing you to progress through the training on your own schedule and at your own pace. The program is broken into modules, or course subjects, all of which focus on helping you build the essential knowledge and skills of a computer technician. The curriculum is built on the exam objectives published by CompTIA, and includes the following:
- 117 simulation labs
- 142 videos
- 144 demonstations
- 189 text lessons
- Section quizzes
- Exam questions
- Certification practice exams
- What type of program support does Career Step offer?
Career Step program support includes access to:
Program Support Advisors who have professional experience in the industry and are uniquely qualified to answer questions about both the training and the industry. They provide timely answers to questions about the program material and offer a number of personal consultations throughout the training to help learners master important concepts.
Technical Support Advisors who are knowledgeable, experienced, and available six days a week to help you work through any technical or computer issues encountered within the training program.
Career Support Advisors who help you transition to the workforce after completion. YourCareer Advisors will help prepare the best resume, develop solid interview skills, and teach you valuable job search techniques.
Though the course is entirely online, you'll never be on your own. Career Step's program support team will always be there to offer personal, ongoing support all the way through the training program.
- How long does it take to finish the course?
The Career Step Computer Technician training program is 182 completion hours. Since the program is completely self-paced and the online training format allows you the flexibility to study as much or as little as your schedule allows, the time it takes you to complete the course will vary from other learners.
Every individual who signs up in the Career Step Computer Technician training program receives an initial 3-month period of access—and we currently offer an additional 3 months at no extra charge! You'll have a full 6 months to complete the program. If you need extra time to complete the course after your initial 6-months, we have extensions available for purchase.
- How do I find work after completion?
Career Step offers personalized, post-completion resources for your job search, including:
- 2 certification exam vouchers to make it easy to take your CompTIA A+ exam
- Personal consultation with a Career Advisor
- Personalized interview tutorials and training
- Individual resume and cover letter review, tips, and advice
- Access to Career Step's help hotline for six months after completion
These resources offer the personalized help you need after completion to quickly and easily transition to the workplace. With this individualized help and attention, the majority of our learners are hired within a few months of completion.
- What computer specifications are required to complete the course?
Since the course is completely online, your computer will play an important role in your learning experience. We recommend the following minimum computer system specifications:
- Active internet connection (minimum of 512kbps)
- 800 X 600 minimum resolution (1024 X 768 or higher recommended)
- Sound card and speakers (Earphones recommended)
- Available USB port
- Chrome 69 and 70
- Firefox 62 and 63 (Extended Releases are not supported)
- Flash 31 and 32 (used for recording or viewing audio/video and uploading files)
- Internet Explorer 11 (Windows only)
- Edge 42 and 44 (Windows only)
- Safari 11 and 12 (Mac only)