- Choose from opportunities across a variety of industries
- Be career-ready in less than 3 months
- Train to earn an average of $39,000/yr
- All for only
Executive Assistant Program FAQs
Get answers to the most common and important questions about signing up in the Executive Assistant program at Career Step. Our FAQs section provides answers to help you make an informed decision about your training.
- What role do administrative assistants and executive assistants play?
Administrative assistants and executive assistants play an important role in a wide variety of industries, and these professionals are crucial to keeping many offices running smoothly. Responsibilities vary from position to position but often include:
- Managing the day-to-day operations of the office
- Organizing and maintaining files and records, both paper and electronic
- Planning and scheduling meetings and appointments
- Managing projects and conducting research
- Purchasing supplies
- Preparing and editing correspondence, reports, and presentations
- Making travel and guest arrangements
- Planning and coordinating events
- Providing a good first impression of the business
Administrative assistants and executive assistants can be found working in schools, government agencies, and corporate settings across a broad range of industries.
- What is the labour market for administrative assistants and executive assistants?
Job opportunities for administrative assistants and executive assistants vary across the different regions in Canada. For specific information on the labour market in your area, please visit the Working in Canada website. Job opportunities are expected to be best for those who have a strong background in office systems technology, and with Career Step training, you'll have everything you need to become a certified Microsoft Office Specialist Master.
- How much can I earn as an administrative assistant or executive assistant?
Working in Canada reports that, on average, administrative assistants earn between $11.75 and $26.34 an hour. For more information on average wages in your specific region, visit the Working in Canada website. You may also qualify for benefits as an administrative assistant or executive assistant.
- Do I need to be certified?
Certification is not required for employment. However, the Career Step Executive Assistant program prepares you for the Microsoft Office Specialist Master credential with training on the Microsoft Office software application. Earning the MOS Master credential will prove your knowledge of software applications and increase your job opportunities and earning potential. A voucher to take a Microsoft Office Specialist exam (a $120 value) is included with the course upon completion, making it easy to earn your credential right away.
- What are the advantages of training with Career Step?
Career Step has been training quality professionals for over 20 years and offers a comprehensive training program that prepares learners to work as administrative assistants or executive assistants. With Career Step, you can train affordably without sacrificing quality, learn from comprehensive training developed by industry professionals, take advantage of live program and career support, and quickly gain the specialized skills and business knowledge you need to succeed as an administrative assistant or executive assistant. We're committed to helping you achieve your goals, and Career Step provides everything you need to succeed!
- What kind of skills or experience do I need to enter the Career Step program?
In order to be admitted, you must be at least 18 years of age and either a) have a high school diploma or a General Education Development Certificate (GED), or b) pass the Career Step Pre-Training Assessment Test. There are no specific skills or experience that are considered prerequisites for entry into the Career Step training program.
- Is Career Step accredited?
Career Step is registered under the Utah Post-Secondary Proprietary School Act but is not nationally or regionally accredited. However, our career-focused training programs are approved by a number of industry specific organizations and are designed with employer feedback to ensure learners are gaining exactly the skills needed to get a job and succeed in the workforce.
The Career Step training programs prepare learners for career fields where employers are looking for skilled applicants. Career Step works closely with employers when developing a training program to ensure learners finish with the skills employers are looking for. We've also developed close ties to industry associations, aligning our programs with their recommendations. Career Step programs boast the following recognitions:
- Career Step’s Medical Transcription Editor training is approved by the Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity (AHDI), the leading medical transcription industry association.
- The Medical Administrative Assistant with EHR program is approved by the National Healthcareer Association (NHA), a leading organization focused on increasing the quality of health career training.
Career Step programs are also designed to prepare you for certifications that greatly improve your employment opportunities. Employers are often more familiar with various credentials than with the quality of training provided by different organizations. To help your resume stand out from other applicants, various Career Step programs help prepare learners to earn the following third-party credentials:
- Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA)
- Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (CEHRS)
- CompTIA A+ Certification
- Microsoft Office Specialist – Master (MOS-Master)
This focus on helping you gain the skills needed to succeed in the workforce has made our learners successful in the job market—over 84% of those who have completed their Career Step training are employed in their field of study, and 91% of our trained and employed Medical Transcriptionist work from home in their first job.
- How is the Career Step Executive Assistant program structured?
The Career Step Executive Assistant program is offered entirely online, providing 24/7 access to all material and allowing you to progress through the training on your own schedule and at your own pace. The program is broken into modules, or course subjects, all of which focus on helping you build the essential knowledge and skills of an executive assistant. The course includes training on either Microsoft Office software, and upon completion, learners have the knowledge and skills necessary to sit for the Microsoft Office Specialist Master certification exam.
- What type of program support does Career Step offer?
Career Step program support includes access to:
- Program Support Trainers and Advisors who have professional experience in the industry and are uniquely qualified to answer questions about both the training and the industry. They provide timely answers to questions about the program material and offer a number of personal consultations throughout the training to help learners master important concepts.
- Technical Support Advisors who are knowledgeable, experienced, and available six days a week to help you work through any technical or computer issues encountered within the training program.
- Career Support Advisors who help you transition to the workforce after completion. Your Career Advisors will help prepare the best resume, develop solid interview skills, and teach you valuable job search techniques.
Though the course is entirely online, you'll never be on your own. Career Step's program support team is available to offer personal, ongoing support all the way through the training program.
- How long does it take to finish the course?
The Career Step Executive Assistant training program includes up to 160 completion hours, depending on whether you're training on Microsoft Office software. Since the program is completely self-paced and the online training format allows you the flexibility to study as much or as little as your schedule allows, the time it takes you to complete the course will vary from other learners. Some learners are able to complete their training program in as little as 1 or 2 months and others, who are more limited in the time they can devote to the course, take longer (for example, learners who can devote about 10 hours a week may finish in about 4 months).
Every individual who signs up in the Career Step Executive Assistant training program receives an initial 6-month period of course access. Though the program is designed to be completed in 3 months of full-time study, you'll have a full 6 months to complete your training. If you need extra time to complete the course after your initial 6-month period, we have 3-month extensions available for purchase.
- How do I find work after finishing?
Career Step offers personalized, post-completion resources for your job search, including:
- Personal consultation with a Career Advisor
- Personalized interview tutorials and training
- Individual resume and cover letter review, tips, and advice
- Microsoft Office Specialist certification exam voucher (a $120 value)
- Access to Career Step's help hotline for six months after completion
These resources offer the personalized help you need after finishing to quickly and easily transition to the workplace. With this individualized help and attention, the majority of our learners are hired within a few months of competion.
- What materials and computer specifications are required to complete the course?
Your training includes everything you will need to train for a successful career as an administrative assistant or executive assistant. Your training includes:
- Access to expert-created training
- Complete ebook library
- One-on-one help from program and technical support
- Microsoft Office Specialist certification exam voucher (a $120 value)
- Valuable career resources
Since the course is completely online, your computer will play an important role in your learning experience. We recommend the following minimum computer system specifications:
- Active internet connection (High speed/Broadband connection recommended)
- 800 X 600 minimum resolution (1024 X 768 or higher recommended)
- Adobe Flash Player (ver. 10 or higher)
- Windows Media Player (ver. 10 or higher) or Quicktime Player (ver. 7 or higher)
- PDF reader
- Internet Explorer 7.x/8.x/9.x
- Firefox 3.x
- Safari 4.x or greater (Mac only)
- Microsoft Windows (XP®, Vista®, 7 with latest service pack)
- Mac OS X (10.4.11 or greater)
- What payment options does Career Step offer?
We realize that one of the most important questions tied to training is how it will be paid for. Because this is such a big part of the decision of whether or not to get further training, Career Step has designed several financial assistance and payment options. Please visit our Financial Assistance page for more information.
- How soon will I receive my materials?
It takes 2-3 business days to process the application, depending on method of payment. Once the payment is processed you will be emailed your course login and password and can start training immediately. Additional course materials are shipped UPS Ground after the payment is processed. The average wait is about 7-10 days.