- Enter a growing field in the $60 billion a year pet industry
- Train in 3 months or less at your pace
- Prepare to earn average salaries of $25,000/yr
- All for only
- See the Top 5 Reasons to Choose Career Step
VETERINARY ASSISTANT JOB DESCRIPTION AND EARNING POTENTIAL
What will I be doing as veterinary assistant?
Veterinary assistants help veterinarians and veterinary technicians and technologists care for animals in clinics and practices nationwide. Your specific responsibilities would vary from location to location, but may include:
- Feeding, bathing, and exercising animals
- Cleaning and disinfecting cages, kennels, and examination and operation rooms
- Restraining animals during examination and laboratory procedures
- Maintaining and sterilizing surgical instruments and equipment
- Monitoring and caring for animals after surgery
- Helping to provide emergency first aid to sick and injured animals
Veterinary assistants work in veterinary practices and clinics nationwide. As many clinics and animal hospitals are open 24/7, night and weekend schedules are often available.
How Much Do Executive Assistants Earn?
Veterinary assistant pay rates vary by employer, geographic location, and experience as in any other field. Working in Canada data groups these professionals with other veterinary professionals in the Veterinary and Animal Health Technologists and Technicians category. As this category includes other professionals, it’s important to understand that as a veterinary assistant you can expect to earn wages at the lower end of the provided ranges. Working in Canada reports that low to median wages in this category are between $12.50 an hour and $18 an hour.